Saturday, October 15, 2011

Which is more important?

Saving money or using coupons? The two are not always the same.

The answer is simple, doncha think? Think again.

I talked with some couponers today and I was chastised for shopping at 99 Cents Only because they don't accept coupons.  I posed the question above and most of them said, "Using Coupons".  I set up the following scenario:

At Ralph's a bag of Dole salad is $3.49.

At 99 Cents Only the EXACT same bag of salad is .99.

Sometimes (maybe 2-3 times per year) I can get a .50 off coupon for a bag of Dole Salad.  Most of the time, it's now .50 off 2 or 3 bags (thanks to "that show").  Ralph's will double the first coupon, making it $1.00 off. So, the salad at Ralph's is now $2.49 if I can find a coupon that is only off 1 bag.

My family eats 4-6 bags of salad a week.  We like our greens.

Scenario:

So, let's say, I can get 20 .50/1 coupons for salad all year. Honestly, that's a STRETCH!  I do not use clipping services.  I only trade coupons.

  • I buy 5 bags of salad per week.

  • That's only 6 weeks worth of salad I can use coupons on.

  • Ralph's will double the first to $1.00.

  • The first coupon is doubled to $1.00, and since I can only use 3 like coupons at Ralphs, so the remaining 2 .50 coupons are redeemed at face value. A total savings of $2.00.

  • 5 bags of salad at Ralphs will come to $15.45.


Meanwhile at 99 Cents Only, I can buy 5 bags of salad for $4.98.  No coupons, no muss, no fuss. It's the same price every day.  All of our local 99 Cents Only carry Dole bagged salads.

I can use the $10.47 I saved to buy more groceries or I can stash it away in our savings account for a rainy day!

Not everyone has a 99 Cents Only near them, but there are other low price grocery outlets, such as Dollar General, Family Dollar, Save-a-lot, and lots of other regional  bargain chains.


So which is more important to you? Saving money or using coupons?

No comments:

Post a Comment