Thursday, November 17, 2011

Yogurt: A Rant

This is probably going to seem weird, but allow me to rant about Yogurt.

Yes, yogurt. Defined as: A dairy product produced by bacterial fermentation of milk. The bacteria used to make yogurt are known as "yogurt cultures". Fermentation of lactose by these bacteria produces lactic acid, which acts on milk protein to give yogurt its texture and its characteristic tang.

At the grocery store the other day, I was looking for yogurt to feed the baby.  He loves it! I wanted something yummy, nutritious and not terribly expensive.  Note the definition above doesn't say anything about High Frutose Corn Syrup, Pectin, or Gelatin.  I don't want to feed those things to the baby.

I JUST WANT YOGURT!!!! I don't want to spend $20 on a weeks' worth of yogurt to feed Little Man!  Oh, use some coupons you say?

Yoplait Greek Yogurt: Gelatin and Locust bean gum. UGH!! If they strained the yogurt, they wouldn't have to add thickeners!!

Dannon Greek Yogurt: Guar Gum and Corn Starch. Also HFCS. Yum?

YoBaby: Pectin and Sugar. No Thanks!  I understand it's Dr. Sears approved, but... SUGAR is the second ingredient. To be fair, I did buy some of this, as it was on sale and I had a coupon, making it .25.  Little Man wouldn't eat it.  I tasted it, and I'm not surprised. It's HORRIBLE!! Sickly sweet and a nasty fake "tart" aftertaste. Blegh.

Chobani and Fage are both just yogurt, but at over $1.00/cup (that's the price after coupons), I can't afford to buy this weekly to feed to the Little Man.

So, I've decided to make my own yogurt. I found a great site here that tells you how to make yogurt in a crock pot.  This will end up being cheaper than buying, and I'll know exactly what's in it.  And it will be made with love!  Here is a fun website that tells you how to make plain yogurt yummy!

Now that I'm home, I think I'll be spending a lot more time making stuff from scratch!

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I did the same thing when my girls were little, made a lot more stuff from scratch, made my own baby food, made my own yogurt, bread. It's amazing how much you can save that way if you have the time to invest.

    ReplyDelete