Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I went shopping: Albertsons

I just stopped in for cheese, I swear.

[caption id="attachment_1443" align="alignleft" width="600" caption="Hooray meat!"][/caption]

But once I wandered over to the meat section and saw the butcher putting out mark down meat, I had to buy some.

4 packages of 80/20 ground beef (each package gets split into 2 pieces)

2 steaks (these will be cut in half and DH and I will each get a half a steak)

Teriyaki Tri Tip (only $4.00. Org. Price $10!)

Total $19.46

That is enough for at least 12 meals!

I usually don't buy ground beef that fatty, but it was $2.00 or less per package.  What I do when I cook it is I rinse and drain the ground beef in a colander, the return it to frying pan.  In the case of hamburgers, I blot them between paper towels (like bacon or sausage). Most of the beef will be used in casseroles or skillets meals.

The Tri-tip is going to be cooked and sliced.  I'll package up half of it to make into sit fry and serve with veggies and rice.

The steaks will be cut in half as previously mentioned, then seasoned with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper, and fried in a hot pan with melted butter. 2 minutes on each side, then tossed into the oven at 500 for 5 minutes. Then they are plated to rest.  I then de-glaze the pan with red wine, add some previously caramelized onion and sauteed mushrooms and make a nice reduction.  I serve the steaks with salad, steamed veggies and mashed potatoes.

 

One of my big tips for saving money is: BUY MARKED DOWN MEAT. Get it home, package it up into portions and freeze it!  This meat will probably last us a month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment