Friday, November 11, 2011

Further Adventures in Frugal Living...

In addition to all of the fun frugal things we do in our house (coupons, rebates, comparison shopping, Endorse.com, mypoints, daily deal sites), I've started looking into a few more ways to save money.

I already color my own hair and I have for almost 20 years.  I used to use professional colors from the beauty supply store, but these days I am getting such really great color from the free hair color I can get with coupons, that I am using what's free these days.  I also give myself facials each month, use depilitories/wax myself, and tweeze my own brows. (You can learn about a fun, frugal girls beauty night-in here) After getting fed up with paying almost $60 for a hair cut and blow dry, I decided to do it myself.

YUP, I CUT MY OWN HAIR.  And I lived to tell. I tend to keep my hair short (between chin and shoulder length) now because the baby likes to grab Mama's hair and it hurts.  I Googled "How to Cut your own hair" and looked at some videos on YouTube, but honestly, nothing I read or saw was terribly helpful. I figured I'd just go for it.  I washed my hair, sectioned it, and started cutting.

I cut off about 3 1/2 inches.  I made my bangs about an inch shorter than the rest of my hair.  My hair is incredibly fine, but there is a lot of it.  When it's dry, it tends to flip up a lot at the ends, so the second picture looks like there are some uneven spots, it's just the way my hair acts when it is very clean.

Sorry, no before photos.  It didn't occur to me until after I lopped a hunk off!

[caption id="attachment_1413" align="alignleft" width="306" caption="Ta Da! Cut and colored!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1414" align="alignleft" width="358" caption="And Sooo soft too!"][/caption]

So there it is. Will I do it again? Probably. Let's break down my savings:

Deep Condition, hair cut, blow dry $75 in a salon. Add $50-$100 for a single process color (that means no high or low lights). WOWZA!

My OOP was ZERO. The color was free from a Garnier Facebook promo, and the deep conditioner came in the box of color.

I save about $20/month by taking care of my own eyebrows,  about $100/month doing my own chemical/wax hair removal, and about $75/month giving myself a facial.

Just because you live frugally doesn't mean that your appearance has to suffer.  HBA is always on sale and with coupons and overage, you can pick up hair color, depilatories, and great skin care products (including masks!) for very little OOP.

The color is demi-permanent, so I'll have to re-do it a little sooner than I usually do, but by then, I'm sure I'll have a great deal on hair color!

The only service I don't do at home is a pedicure.  It's my one splurge.   I get a $20 pedicure once every 6 weeks at a local pedicure shop. It's a great, clean shop, and $20 includes callus remover (very important, since I wear sandals all the time!)

 

Does anyone else cut or color their hair at home or indulge in beauty treatments at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment