Thursday, September 15, 2011

Frugal Recipe: Strata

I am all for re-purposing leftovers.

On Saturday after we had moved into the new place, my Dad took the family out for dinner.  We had yummy Italian food, and at the table were loaves of unbuttered bread for us to tear into pieces and eat with our dinner.

When it was time to go, I had the waitress pack up the uneaten bread.  I couldn't let it go to waste.  I brought it home, tossed it into the freezer and put on my thinking cap.

After pouring over my cookbooks, I came up with a great use- Strata.  Strata is eggs and milk combined with spices/herbs poured over torn up pieces of bead, and allowed to sit in the fridge overnight, then it is baked.  It's one part custard, one part french toast.

Here is my recipe for Strata:

Garden fresh Strata

  • 1 pint size carton of Garden vegetable Egg Beaters

  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1/4 cup cottage cheese

  • 1 cup chopped veggies (I used red and green peppers and onions)

  • 2 cups cheddar cheese divided

  • 1/2 cup bacon, chopped into very small pieces (Optional- You can substitute chopped sausage)

  • 1 loaf of Italian Bread, or whatever kind of leftover bread or buns you have, torn into bite sized pieces



  1. spray a 8 inch glass pan with spray release.

  2. spread torn up bread pieces in the bottom of the pan.

  3. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, cottage cheese, veggies, bacon and 1 cup cheese.

  4. Pour mixture over bread.

  5. Top with remaining cheese.

  6. Cover pan with tin foil and store in fridge overnight.

  7. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  8. Remove foil from pan and bake in heated oven for 25035 minutes, or until egg mixture has set.


Serve with fruit salad.  Makes 6-8 servings.  It holds up well for leftovers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment